One of the main themes of Dental Health Week 2019 is the importance of maintaining your oral health. This includes keeping good oral hygiene, eating a healthy diet and visiting your dentist for regular checkups.
Malocclusion of the teeth is also an oral health issue
In addition to these key messages, there are other oral issues that need to be considered to ensure good oral health. One of these issues that may affect a developing child, teen or even adult is malocclusion. Malocclusion is an oral condition where there is a misalignment of the top and bottom rows of teeth when they meet – as the jaws close.
There are a range of malocclusion conditions including: crowded teeth, over bites, under bites, cross bites and open bites.
Malocclusion can lead to a number of oral health complications including:
- changes in the shape and appearance of the face,
- wear and tear from night-time teeth grinding and/or daytime clenching,
- tooth & jaw pain,
- stress on jaw joints, and
- discomfort when chewing or biting.
The benefits of realignment or teeth straightening:
- Better appearance and a straighter, more balanced smile to increase self-esteem
- Easier cleaning, care and maintenance of teeth and gums
- Eat better and more comfortably with correct chewing and biting action
- Less stress, wear, tear and damage on teeth and jaw joints
- Avoid jaw strain and pain with correct jaw alignment
- Less vulnerability to bacterial infections of tooth root tips
Do you need to straighten up?
A quick look will tell you if you or your child’s teeth need teeth straightening. However, consulting with your dentist is the best way to determine if you or your child would benefit from teeth straightening. Your dentist can conduct a full diagnostic assessment and recommend an orthodontic treatment option to straighten your child’s teeth.
Teeth straightening treatment options:
- Metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Lingual (inside) braces
- Clear aligners, such as Invisalign
- Removable plates
Choice Dental have a range of treatment options when it comes to straightening teeth. To find out if you can benefit from straightening your teeth, book a consultation with our specialist orthodontist.
Call our helpful reception on 07 3809 3320 to book or find out more.